Thursday, October 26, 2006

This guy gets it!

"We rightly criticise that in most Islamic states, the role of religion for society and the character of the rule of law are not clearly separated," he added.

"But we fail to recognize that in the USA, the Christian fundamentalists and their interpretation of the Bible have similar tendencies".


Gerhard Schroeder, former German Chancellor, in his memoirs 'Decisions: My Life in Politics'


A very good observation, I hope he and I are proven wrong. Maybe the power of democracy is stronger, but as I see most of my friends planning for thanksgiving and some don't even know it's election day on November 7Th, I am reminded that it's the extremists in the country, the conservatives and liberals alike that actually vote. Will the over-worked, enterprising, moderate American let the country be hijacked by the extremists? What will it take to break the circle of marked indifference? I wonder...

No comments: